Who does not know that sun rays are damaging for skin. Exposure to sun can cause skin flaws such as blemishes, freckles, pimples, age spots, wrinkles etc. Sunburn is also one of the worst damages that sun causes to skin.
Sunburn is burning of skin tissues as a result of prolonged exposure to sun rays. Almost all of us suffer from this skin disease. Often when we go fishing, beach or anywhere out in sun we may get sunburned.
Causes of sun burn:Â Sunburn is a result of exposure to UV radiations from sun. This burn causes skin blemishes, dullness and inflammation of skin. Sunburn begins just 15-20 minutes after the exposure to sun. Some of the main causes of sun burn are:
- Excessive exposure to UVA and UVB radiations.
- Improper tan baths may also result in sun burn.
- White skinned people who have Pheo-melanin are at higher risk.
- Going out in sun without sun screen.
- Exposure to welding arcs, sun lamps etc.
Why skin burns in sun?
Sunburn is caused by UVA and UVB radiations. DNA excitation results fro the reaction with UVB radiations resulting in the formation of Thymine dimer. The body then recognizes this damage and starts a DNA repair mechanism by increasing melanin production rate. Melanin is photo-protective agent which protects the skin against skin damage.
Symptoms of sunburn:
The main symptom of sunburn is skin dullness and redness. There are many other symptoms of sunburn:
- Skin swelling and blisters.
- Fever or chills.
- Massive dehydration of skin.
- Peeling skin
How does sunburn affect your skin?
Sunburn heavily affects the people with fair and light skin. Because of the production of Pheo-melanin upon sun exposure their skin is prone to sunburn. It may affect your skin in several ways:
- It may result in skin cancers.
- It may cause premature skin aging.
- Skin becomes dry and dead.
- Sunburn results in peeling of skin because your body does not accept dead skin.
How to protect against sunburn?
As sunburn is quite damaging to your skin so it is necessary to reduce the amount of UV rays reaching in your skin. You should adopt a daily sun protection routine to overcome it:
- Do not go out without sunscreen. Make sure that your sunscreen prevents both UVA and UVB. Use the one which is SPF15 at least.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as you can, especially between 10a.m -3 p.m.
- Use water proof sun block during swimming.
- Use big sunglasses that protect both kinds of UV radiations.
- Wear long pants and sleeves to avoid sun exposure.
- Wear hat before going out.
- Use a good moisturizer.
Treatments for sunburn:
Most important precaution is to avoid sun exposure as much as you can. There are many good brands that provide good sunscreens. Wrinkle system is one of the best anti-aging brands which provide the best sunscreen. Take healthy diet and drink lots of water and fresh juices. The best treatment for sunburn is just let it heal with time but be careful in future. Do not ever go out without sun block after recovery.
Photo source: sxc